Sample comment letter

LIF STRAND Forums Red Hill Wind Farm Sample comment letter

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lif Strand 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Lif Strand
    Keymaster

This is a kind of template you can use to write your comments, or at least give you an idea of how to write them.  This sample is deliberately vague as to content, because BLM won’t pay attention to what they think are form letters.  They want to know your point of view, not mine!

Note that I address the letter to Jim Stobaugh, because that’s who it says to submit comments to in the NOI.  Even if you submit via the government portal, or if you submit to Virginia Alguire, address your comments as shown.  When it comes to government you always want to do things *exactly* they way they tell you so you don’t give them any justification for just throwing your comments out.

DATE

Jim Stobaugh
    National Project Manager, Bureau of Land Management
    Nevada State Office,
    Borderlands Wind Project,
    1340 Financial Blvd.,
    Reno, NV 89520

Subject: Comments on Notice of Intent To Prepare a Resource Management Plan Amendment and Environmental Impact Statement for the Borderlands Wind Project in Catron County, New Mexico; and Notice of Public Lands Segregation [DOI-BLM-A020-2019-0002-RMP-EIS]

Dear Mr. Stobaugh:

In the first paragraph  say who you are (resident citizen of Catron County, NM, or property or business owner, vacationer – whatever defines you as having a stake in this issue).  Then say why you’re interested (basically explaining what your stake in the issue is).  Then state what your overall concern is (e.g. the potential adverse impacts to your property, your county, your livelihood, to wildlife, to your interest as a bird watcher or a hunter, or maybe as a photographer, the impacts on your peace of mind and tranquility, your finances  – whatever you think will be adversely impacted by the wind farm)   

Then go on to the comments themselves.  I format my comments the way you see here because a) it gives the agency no excuse to claim that the comments are vague or just a vote, or are unhelpful in general, and b) writing the comments this way forces me to be clear about what I’m saying.  I first make a statement about the problem and then I discuss it, and then I provide a statement about what I think they should do about it.

If I have lots of comments, I will bunch them in sections.  I often number them, though that’s not necessary.  You don’t have to put your comments together the way I do – I just wanted you to have an idea of where to start.

Please note: Writing comments is hard!  Everybody wants to just say what they feel, but BLM can’t really use that.  They need specificity:  What is the problem that you see with the project (or the process), how would you like that problem to be dealt with. 

COMMENTS:

1. One sentence that summarizes your concern

DiscussionThis is where I go through my thoughts on who/what/where/when/why of what I think BLM has failed to do, or has done that I don’t think should be done, or what my concern is about.

RemedyThis is where I tell them how to fix the problem.  I usually keep this to a sentence or two   Anything more than that should be part of the discussion.

1. Another sentence that summarizes your concern

DiscussionThis is where I go through my thoughts on who/what/where/when/why of what I think BLM has failed to do, or has done that I don’t think should be done, or what my concern is about.

RemedyThis is where I tell them how to fix the problem.  I usually keep this to a sentence or two   Anything more than that should be part of the discussion.

Thank you for your attention to my comments.

Sincerely,

Your name
    Address
    Phone
    email

• #874 Reply

Laura Brush

While doing some research I ran across a suggestion that I think has merit:

“For example, the phrase ‘wind farm’ is intended to convey a pastoral, environmentally benign impression —- whereas the reality is that a wind facility is an industrial complex. ‘Clean energy’ is another dishonest characterization for similar reasons. Citizens defending their rights against this scourge, should religiously avoid using all of these misleading terms.”

• #876 Reply

Lif Strand
      Keymaster

Great point — thanks for sharing it!

Reply To: Sample comment letter
Your information:

Comments are closed.